Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Sashiko Program

I had an opportunity to do a program at Redwork Club last month. This was my first time doing a program, so I was very nervous. I decided to do about Sashiko stitching. Sashiko is Japanese embroidery stitching. It looks like running stitch, but there are some rules. If you'd like to know more, purl bee website has a great tutorial there.

For the program, I made a kit including introduction to Sashiko history, technique, fabrics to make a coaster with, a needle and Sashiko threads. Even though my English wasn't perfect, and probably not the best program put it together, all the ladies who participated the program were very nice. They were interested, asked me some questions, and started stitching the Sashiko pattern I prepared right away.
(Sashiko kit I made for the program)

At this month meeting, some of the ladies brought the coasters they made after the program I did last month. Some made coasters like I showed, and some made them bigger stuff like pot holder and wall hanging! These ladies always show me new things to learn, so I'm glad I could show them something in return for change. For all the Redwork club members, thank you very much for participating my Sashiko programs.


   

2 comments:

  1. I am sure you were an excellent instructor! So sorry to have missed it. Your link is excellent. Thank you for sharing. I will have to try sashiko soon.

    Have a super great sewing and stitching day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you will make with Sashiko stitching!

      Delete